Thursday, January 27, 2005

Flu

I've had the flu. So I haven't been running the dogs. Actually before I got the flu I was working and then during my time off when I would have run them I got sick. Cleaning the dog yard and feeding and watering them about wiped me out today. I hope I feel better tomorrow.
I have been thinking about my dogs. I think I know what kind of dog I like now. Sled dogs come in all shapes and sizes and actually I have several types. My two favorites are Jack and Ruger follwed by JJ. Cruiser has a special place in my heart also. I do like all my dogs in different ways.
But the type I like the best are smaller stocky dogs that pull hard. about 45 to 55 lbs.
This weight is kind of a magic number. Iditarod dogs are all about that size. It seems to be a size that brings a balance of speed power and endurance. Dogs this size are less injury prone also. These three dogs are built like tanks. They have super hard muscle tone and are really strong. You would be surprised that a dog that small can be so strong. These three are each nearly impossible to walk on a leash. They can knock me over and drag me, even though I weigh 220.

I also value toughness, mental toughness, and physical toughness. Dogs that keep hard charging in difficult situations. My young dogs haven't really been through the test but Ruger an JJ have for sure.
Coats:
I like a dog with a thick coat. It doesn't have to be long. The length is more or less determined by the outer guard hairs. The undercoat is what keeps a dog warm. It must be thick. My dogs are kept outside in plastic barrel houses insulated with straw. Some dogs have thinner coats and really need the straw. Sometimes on cold days you will see them shivering when outside their house. I don't like seeing this. I like dogs happy and naturally adapted to be out in the cold. The thin coats are caused by breeding to various hounds in order to increase speed. I have one dog that is built just like a grey hound. He ran 500 miles of the iditarod. He has a thin coat. The way he was kept warm on the trail is that he was covered with a blanket and heating pads. That is fine, the care of dogs on the iditarod trail is fine, but I would rather have tough dogs that don't need extra care. The thin coated dogs also need more food.

Jack for example sleeps outside his house at 30 below. He has a hole in the snow he sleeps in. It is about the size of a garbage can lid. It is about a half a foot deep he melted it into the ground with his body heat. The house is there for him but he never uses it.

Appetites:

I only have one dog that has the kind of appetite I like to see. That dog is Ruger. He scarfs down immediately any thing I put in front of him. The reason this is good is because such dogs are easier to feed on the trail. You can put the food pans out and take them away quickly before they freeze. They also tend to keep weight on better. Ruger has a very efficient metabolism.
There are ways to train dogs to eat better, like taking the food back after a little while so they learn to eat fast. Somthing about seeing a dog eat really good makes me happy. I guess to me it says the dog has good survival instincts.

Feet: I like dogs with tough feet. I have had no foot injuries so far except for Strider. I suspect that is because he is not a real sled dog.

Tough feet are not calloused and hard, but supple and soft yet tough like leather. They have springy pads. Siberian huskies have the toughest feet but may alaskan huskies all have tough feet too. Foot problems can put a dog out of commission. Their are booties available, and I plan to get some before going on a long trip, but once again I prefer dogs with naturally tough feet.

Good looks don't hurt, but is not the number one priority. I do like the looks of husky dogs over more houndy dogs, but some of my dogs have floppy but are tough and have thick coats.

Personality: This is where I differ from a lot of mushers. I like super hard headed dogs. Many mushers prefer slightly shy, softer temperamented dogs. I always worry I will hurt their feelings. My voice can be a little gruff at times. Hard headed dogs don't seem to mind. They may need a little more work but they are usually hard driving dogs also. Our personalities mesh better. I do have one very shy dog, Pumpkin, but she is growing on me and coming around. She is actually kind of hard headed in her own way.
I worry about Doppler at times because he is so sensitive and eager to please. I have never seriously reprimanded him. But he is also a hard charger and catches on fast. Leaders need to be more responsive than dogs in other positions but for team dogs, I would like dogs like Ruger that only know how to pull straight ahead and don't think much.

I also like affectionate dogs. My most affectionate dog is Jack. He always gives me a big hug when I come by. He likes to climb up into my arms to and try to take my hat off or stick his nose up my coat, funny things like that. Somtines I act like I am waltzing with him. I can lift his feet off the ground and whirl him around and he keeps coming back for more.

In the spring I might find some homes for a couple of the dogs that don't fit my standards. They may make excellent dogs for other mushers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Theo_musher, without blogs like yours I would be miserable and bored. My recent injury has me cooped up at home, so it's always lucky to find a gem like your blog here to keep me amused. My dog house plans website is getting better but it's hard to find information on dog house plans stuff, so I like learning from quality blogs like yours because it helps me in my web projects. You do a sweat job my friend. I'll be bookmarking your site in a special place. Will probably tell a friend too.

Nice work ~

November 12, 2005 at 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theo_musher, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'Flu', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal wooden dog house website never suffers this because it just sells wooden dog house and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

good day -

December 2, 2005 at 5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, is there something a little weird going on here? I don't know about you Theo_musher, but my blog gets pretty cluttered with spammy comments from people. My advice to you as one blog owner to another, is to be patient and focus on the great things about having a blog, instead of all the junk that goes on. You do have a quality blog and appears that you enjoy it. My favorite web project so far is a cheap dog houses site, because I have total control and it makes me a couple dollars here and there. It's pretty hard to find new information on cheap dog houses stuff though. Hey, keep up your excellent job Theo_musher, and good luck with your projects..

See ya ~

December 2, 2005 at 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Theo_musher,
great info on your blog Flu I was really looking for information in more detail on dog training technique however I still found your read to be quite informative and interesting. Thanks for the useful info

December 12, 2005 at 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great blog here Theo_musher, searching for information on dog crate training has brought me here. Although Flu is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog crate training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 16, 2005 at 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great blog here Theo_musher, searching for information on dog training manual has brought me here. Although Flu is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog training manual and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 30, 2005 at 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Theo_musher, I was looking around for stuff on guard dog training and found your post. I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but I could not find anything about Flu specifically. I see now why I found your page looking for information on guard dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. This is one of the best blogs I have seen so far... you're doing a terrific job. Keep it
up.

December 30, 2005 at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home