Thursday, December 09, 2004

Jack comes through in lead.

Well, we tried Ruger and Jack in wheel, and Pumpkin and Doppler up front. Pumpkin and Doppler didn't seem confident in lead so they didn't keep the line stretched out. The wheel dogs over took them and everything got all bunched up. I wanted it to be a positive experience for Doppler so I took them out of lead. The thing with Pumpkin is that even though, she is not being overtly rebellious like my other two leaders, she is very tentative and timid. She also doesn't pull much.

So I put Ruger and Doppler away and we tried just Pumpkin and Jack alone pulling the weighted sled. Pumpkin isn't assertive enough to really correct a rebellious leader, But I was hoping that she would run along side Jack, who seemed willing, take commands, and at least nudge Jack in the right direction.
It went great! This was the best run all season so far even though it was just out and back 2 miles total. Jack pulled the whole way. We think the sled weighs at least 100 lbs with the 6 car tires on it and he did most of the pulling which on the way up is uphill. Doppler and Strider pulled pretty good on an earlier two dog run but would slack off a little , needing encouragemant., But Jack pulled steadily the whole time. Pumpkin did well too. She knows all the Comands, did nothing to screw up or teach bad habits to Jack and even bagan to pull a little.

Overall a good run. Tomorrow will be Ruger and Criuser in Wheel, Doppler and Jack up front or maybe Pumpkin and either Doppler or Jack up front.
Got my fingers crossed.

4 Comments:

Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hey Theo! Sounds like things are getting better with every run!!

Also - I think any dog named "Jack" is destined for greatness. All the Jack's I know are super sled dogs! Leaders too.

December 9, 2004 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I think what i will do this winter is train Doppler and Jack to be leaders from scratch, then add dogs as they build confidence.
I think it will prove to be rewarding having my own leaders that I trained myself.
How are things going with you? I have been so busy I have been neglecting the e-mail list. I will have to get cracking on it.
Happy trails

Ted

December 10, 2004 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Thanks Dad

December 11, 2004 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hi again Theo. Things are great over here. Posted a couple new runs 'n stuff on the blog lately if you want crazy detail. Plan on getting out a full 10-dog team tomorrow doing 10 miles! Very excited. It's nice to get them all out at once. Did the skijoring thing with friends who are kind of in the same spot as you dog-wise. They have 7, but are working really hard on developing leaders and stuff. We just did a 4-mile loop or so together, and they had to work on a couple commands with one dog, but the patience and persistence in turning that dog the right way paid off!

December 13, 2004 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home