Thursday, February 03, 2005

New Trail.

Well, I snowshoed in a new trail on my own land. I am not the greatest at estimating distances, but it might be a 3/4 mile loop or maybe a half mile. It's somewhere in there, anyway.
It encircles a section of my Norway pine plantation. I will get a picture up tomorrow. It is habitat for several snoeshoe hare. It's kind of neat to mush through there. The trail I made cuts right through the middle and the trees are so close its like mushing through a tunnel. There are serveral turns for the dogs to practice commands on. I ran Jack and Doppler in lead and Ruger an JJ in wheel.
Jack and Doppler are catching on with the commands. I did about 3 passes through the trail, the last one we went the opposite way so the dogs would learn commands better.
I notice doppler isn't the greatest puller when we are going slow. It was a soft trail yet so things were slow. I don't want him to pull too hard since he is in lead, but he needs to keep his tug tight.
Tomorrow I will try some of my other leaders and give Doppler a break.
If nothing else this little trail of mine will be great for leader training. Jack seems pretty confident in lead. I think he is an exceptional dog.
I bought a trailer hitch to put on my truck. There is a guy at my church that might be able to weld it on. Once I get that taken care of I can truck out with the dogs in search of trails and eventually go on a trip. I am hoping I can. The winter is still young and I hear early spring is the best time for cross country trips with dogs anyway. I will try to use the mnth of Feb to get them in condition.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy...just stumbled across your blog. Very cool.

I have a suggestion, though: could you please add some line breaks/paragraphs? You have some interesting posts but they all run together and that makes it difficult to read.

Thanks! Looking forward to exploring your past posts :) Woofs!

February 7, 2005 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Annie,
Could you refresh my memory?
Sorry :(

Ted

February 8, 2005 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Well I don't have a helicopter so In will just post little snippets of it. Fair enough? ;-)
Good to hear from you!
Ted

February 8, 2005 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home