Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Strider finds a new home

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Strider wasn't really working out as a sled dog. He was too big and slow. It was hard for him to keep up and it caused him stress so he would get diarrhea. Poor guy! He really tried hard, though. He would get really excited before a run and jump high in the air. I think he was just excited to get out. He also would rather be a house dog, I think. He liked being around people more than just hanging around the dog yard with the other sled dogs. I do miss him a little.
We found a nice family for him. They seemed to really hit it off. It was a young couple with three small kids. They wanted a big friendly dog that had a scary bark so he could be a watch dog.
That fits strider to a tee. He has a big scary German shepherd bark but is a big baby that wouldn't hurt a flea. But if you didn't know him and came over to the house and he barked at you and you got a look at his piercing blue eyes you might be quite intimidated. That's all that is really needed for a watch dog.
The rest of the time all Strider wants to do is play and cuddle and shake hands. I think he will be pretty happy and they will be happy with him. It worked out well for everyone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, to slow for a Freight team?! Just kidding :)

Jake Robinson

February 9, 2005 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

I was just thinking the other day that we are probably pretty fast, considering. None of my dogs are really big either and all come from racing lines.

February 9, 2005 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theo, Can you please explain the concept of a freight team? Most of my limited knowledge is in srint racing and I don't quite know the stuff about mid/long distance. IMO a freight team is a team that is "trekking" heavy loads from point a to point b and is averaging very low speeds (4-5 mph)? Or is a race like the quest considered a Freight race? I am not bashing you or your knowledge, I am simply trying to broaden my own...

Jake Robinson

February 10, 2005 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Jake,
I train with about eighty lbs of salt on the sled plus I stand on the runners and don't peddle much. This way I am hoping when I finally go camping they can pull lots of gear. I am working on getting them all to pull hard. Part of this is conditioning that a good sprint racer would do also but they would work on speed too.

February 10, 2005 at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home