Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Still love dogs.

Well, I have this blog here that people still seem to be visiting to check up on me...

So I just thought I would check in. I live in a little aparetment now, in Madison, WI. This is the capital of Wisconsin and a college town. Its kind of an urban area, but it is a rather liberal/progressive city and most people here are very concerned with conservation, so there are lots of well treed parks and wildlife preserves and several lakes. There is this one area called the "arboretum" that I walk in every day. It is a man made natural preserve, that belongs to the university. I think it was created in the 1930's. They apparently just bought some farm land and planted a forest. There are turkeys and deer in the park and several other species of birds. They are quite tame, since hunting in not allowed and I have walked to within a few yards of both deer and turkeys.

The arboretum is very nice, but it is strange to see so many people while walking in the woods. This is not Northern Minnesota.

This is a fairly large city with lots of cultural opportunities, lots of resteraunts, museums, Art galleries etc. I was kind of missing this aspect of life while living out in the woods, so I am catching up on this. I have been working on my writing and assisting my Aunt, who is an artist, in getting her work shown in galleries.

Probably I will be here for a year or so, get all this culture crap out of my system and then head of for the wilderness again somewhere. I'd like to make some money and get established as a writer. That is my main reason for being here.

I don't think I will get right back into mushing though, especially with global warming. Though I only had my sled dog team for one winter and thought it was the most fun I ever had in my life, I really don't think it if feasible to have a team of dogs, if its only going to be winter for 2-3 months. Where I lived in MN used to have winter from Halloween to Easter. That is, it used to be almost 5 months. But lately for much of the upper midwest it has been only basically january and February. Manybe half of march and half of december.

There is a lot I want to do the rest of the year, like traveling, hiking, kayaking, camping, hunting etc.

What I plan to do is get a pair of dogs someday for skijoring. Then in the summer I can pack with them, and camp with them and if I need to I can board them.

This is even if I move to Alaska.

I really am still into dogs, and like talking to people around here when I see them out walking them. I have seen a couple that look like alaskan huskies even.

What I'd like to do this year, is see some sled dog races in the northern part of the state if they have them. I will post photos. I am also excited about following the quest and the i-rod this year too.
Two of my favorite mushers, Karen Land, and Karen Ramstead, are both running the Quest. I am really anxious to see how they do.

I also still like to research breeds of dogs on the internet. Here is a link I found about a rare breed, called the "Amur Laika" Its in Russian, but there are lots of cool pictures.

This is an all purpose dog that looks like an athletic looking malamute. It can pull sleds or skiers and is also a fearless hunting dog.

This may be the perfect breed for me somday, when I get established again with a house.

Check it out. cool dog breed.

Amur Laika

2 Comments:

Blogger Woofwoof said...

Hey welcome back. I'm glad that things are working out alright for you. And that dog breed is truly beautiful.

November 17, 2005 at 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I was just cruising the blogs today and I came across yours, it really entertained me.

Thanks,

pomeranian dog

March 12, 2006 at 2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home