Friday, March 25, 2005

Mish mash

One of the differences between my team and a top racing team, besides my limited level of experience, is the make up of my team. Dogs from many different backgrounds that are the result of several different breeding programs.

A top team will have more uniformity, because they will probably be related and have certian things in common that their owner wanted to bring out and conciously bred for and selected for.

There are many different styles of mushers and so many different styles of sled dogs.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is "Cruiser" he is my only purebred siberian husky. His is unregistered though. He is a smaller male, in the 45 lb range. Not particularly fine boned or well angulated. One oddity of his build is that he has extremely wide barrel shaped ribs like a show dog. Siberian huskies from lines that compete in the show ring often have qualities that don't have anything to do with performance. Somewhwere along the line sombody that competed in the show ring but never set foot on a sled decided that siberians need to have wide barrel shape ribs. This is actually false. The most efficient build for athletic perfomance is a narrow deep rib cage and a long back.

However Cruiser is a hard worker and pretty athletic, his odd mix of features points to his mixed show quality and racing background. He has some showlines in his pedigree as well as "Anadyr" and "Sepp-alta" which are racing kennels. He is friendly but also has kind of an independant personality. He is a focused worker and pulls hard.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is "Fir". He is the fastest dog in my kennel. He is from Terry Adkins breeding. He has a bone structure and hard muscle tone much like a greyhound. He also has a thin undercoat, though lots of long tough guard hairs. He has some tough sled dogs in his back ground from Herbie Nyokpuk on shishmaref island, but He most resembles what Terry refers to as "Canadian sprint lines" which probably do have some type of admixture of sighthound blood like saluki and greyhound, pointer, irish settr and other fast dogs. One thing about him that I notice is different from my other dogs is that he has a loud bark. I notice my more "old fashioned" sled dogs are less noisy and barky.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is Jack. Jack looks more like an old fashioned sled dog but is actually a throw back. Many of his siblings don't even resemble what many people would think of as a sled dog. Some are solid red or red and white with floopy ears like a lab, some aren't all that thick coated, either. He has a nice plush double coat and wolf like markings. Even though he has a stocky build like a frieght dog, he has hard muscle tone like a hound dog. Hard ripling muscles. His hidquarters are almost like a pit bull. This is his normal build even without conditioning. But conditioning muscles him up more. He is also a pretty fast smooth runner. His angulation is pretty good in the rear and his shoulders and not as well angulated. He has a very bold energetic outgoing personality.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is Ruger, even though he is an alaskan husky, and all alaskan huskies have some hound blood in the background, I am hard pressed to see any of it in him. He has a thick warm double coat. He has stiff upright ears, he is not particularly fast, though an honest hard worker. He is as strong as an ox but the quality of his muscle tone is different, more like a siberian, not pumped up like a hound dogs muscle.
I have never heard him bark and when he howls he sounds just like a wolf. He has heavy jaw muscles and strong teeth. His natural gait is a rolling "pace".

To me he looks like the original alaskan husky back when they were used not for racing but for carrying mail and running traplines, there are a few details I think are more refined though, he is small, only 55 lbs compared to these "mail dog" type dogs, and his bone structure is more refined and he has a sloping croup and a low tailset. He resembles a lot of iditarod dogs back in the eighties I think.
He is a really happy dog, very hardy and easy to care for, he wolfs all his food down
Tough feet and never had an injury.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here is Doppler. I have no idea of his background, but he is from Ross Adams.
He is my second fastest dog. He has hard hound muscle tone too and a short coat. He has a very deep narrow ribcage. This is a dog that is very easy to train, he is very sensitive and eager to please. I run him in lead with Jack butb they are total opposites. In some ways he reminds me of a siberian husky but is also very greyhound like. He is very agile and sure footed with really quick reflexes.

None of these dogs are really anything alike other than they are all sled dogs. They all have different builds, personalities and abilities, and I find I am learning alot from them.

9 Comments:

Blogger Woofwoof said...

Doppler seems like a cool, high-energy dog; he even looks intelligent. I like Cruiser, well, just because he is a siberian husky.

March 27, 2005 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Hey WoofWoof, pleased to meet you. Glad you stopped by.
Yes, Doppler is an intelligent Boy, very sensitive too.
Glad you like him.

March 28, 2005 at 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fir's loud bark probably comes from some pointer lines, probably 1/8 or so. I have pbserved the same thing with my pointer crosses, they are a lot louder than my King, Barron and Osmar dogs.

Jake Robinson

April 2, 2005 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

He certianly is fast. I am getting to like him better. I have been taking him on walks and letting him run around.

BTW good job in your win at the Paul Bunyan!

Ted

April 3, 2005 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a training aggressive dog blog. It pretty much covers training aggressive dog related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 21, 2005 at 1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, there Theo_musher, I am out searching for information on clicker dog training and found your site. Although Mish mash is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page looking for information on clicker dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 10, 2005 at 1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Theo_musher, I was looking around for stuff on dog toilet training and found your post. I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but I could not find anything about Mish mash specifically. I see now why I found your page looking for information on dog toilet training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. This is one of the best blogs I have seen so far... you're doing a terrific job. Keep it
up.

December 16, 2005 at 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great blog here Theo_musher, searching for information on dog training tricks has brought me here. Although Mish mash is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog training tricks and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

January 13, 2006 at 3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!
I bookmark your site, best greetings.
Very much interesting site. You have to look at this too.

Also visit my sites:
http://clonazepam.butkel1.org/ clonazepam

Aufiderzein!

December 13, 2006 at 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home