Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Love Stinks!

What would put my toughest best eating dog, off his food for three days, and cause him to pace around all day and whimper like a whipped puppy?
Only unrequited love!

I had a cockamamy idea that I would breed Ruger to JJ. Its not a cockamamy idea altogether. They are my two hardest pulling dogs and are both proven race vetrans. There are probably better dogs I could find though. I do like tough old fashioned huskies with good coats though, and they are becoming harder to come by.

But the reason I decided against it was all the money and time involved with raising pups and finding homes for most of them. My wife helped bring me back down to reality while Ruger was in the back yard wooing JJ and trying to mate with her the way dogs do. She was both attracting him and playing hard to get at the same time in their little courtship ritual leading up to her finally allowing him to mount her. Before it got to that point I came back to my senses and put Ruger back on his chain.

The poor Guy has been pining for her ever since. Today he ate some food for the first time. He had lost some weight and worn a trench into his area from pacing.

He seems to be finally getting over it and JJ is hopefully coming out of heat. It will be nice to be able to run them together again. They are an awsome pair in wheel that add power to a 4 to 6 dog team comperable to switching into 4 wheel drive on an icy road.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ted, some unsolicited advice...good choice, dont breed them!!! I have three phenominal pets/ marginal sled dogs in my yard now from breeding my "best" to my "best" 5 years ago. IMO, you havent been in dogs long enough to know what bloodlines you want 5 years from now. There will be plenty of time to do a breeding, heck every 6 months you'll get a chance. You may even have an unplanned breeding. Let this one go. I've been down this road. You will probably regret it. Hope this doesnt seem rude, not meant to be.

February 16, 2005 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Dave,
I think you are definately right.
btw, how are the pups doing?
I kind of regret not getting them but now isn't the time for pups. I'm too busy and We needed to spend some money on the house.
Let me know how they are doing.

Glad you stopped by

Ted

February 16, 2005 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted, the pups are doing great. Little tasmanian devils. Pope, AKA Frosty has that cool human detachment that alot of good leaders have. We're looking forward to seeing them develop. Its a roll of the dice,we'll see what happens..Hey I like your blog, gives me a chance to stretch my head at work every once in a while. Hope your winter is going well. Trust me, there'll always be someone with good dogs available when youre ready for them...

February 16, 2005 at 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha...the ol' males sure get randy when theres that scent in the air, huh?? I feel bad for them, so close and yet so far...:)

February 16, 2005 at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home