Thursday, February 24, 2005

Rocket scientists

I must have a couple rocket scientists on my hands for dogs. I must have gotten lucky, or else dog training is a lot simpler than people let on.
Hard to say which. Of course my optimism might be causing me to forget all the frustration and heart ache. Probably that is part of it.
But these guys just about have it down.

I took Jack and Doppler out again today and boy was I impressed. They are really starting to learn these turns. I really marvel at this because I hate to admit but somtimes I screw up left and right. The other day I did with dogs and I was really kicking myself over it. So today I drilled it into my head that the snow hook holder is "Gee". So then I went out with the dogs on my training trail, going around and around the various loops making them go a different way each time.

I think at first they just picked up that when I hit the break before a turn they knew there werre two choices, so they tried one or the other and just waited to see if I let go of the break. But eventually they were hitting turns and I didn't need to break at all. They just did it. Then I mixed things up a bit and made sure they weren't just used to going a certian way. Well it seems like they really do know "Gee" and "haw". I think I need to reinforce it a few more times and then they will really have it down.

I couldn't be more proud of these Guys! I don't think just any two dogs could do this well. They obviously have special leadership qualities. For one they are both very affectionate dogs that seek my approval, especially Doppler. They also are both very enthusiastic to run. Obviously they have intelligence. I feell almost like I just got done building somthing on my own, like a porch or somthing. A real sense of accomplishment, it's pretty neat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great blog here Theo_musher, searching for information on dog training centre has brought me here. Although Rocket scientists is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog training centre and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 15, 2005 at 2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Theo_musher, you have a great blog here. I'am out searching for information on dog training centre and found your site. Rocket scientists is not exactly what I am looking for but it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog training centre and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 15, 2005 at 4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Theo_musher, you have a great blog here. I'am out searching for information on dog toilet training and found your site. Rocket scientists is not exactly what I am looking for but it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on dog toilet training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

December 16, 2005 at 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Theo_musher. My friend actually sent me a link to this blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing I could find on dog training treats specifically. Although Rocket scientists is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for information on dog training treats but am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match.

January 13, 2006 at 3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home